they certainly didn’t give up easily. The best fish of the day (and possibly the trip, with the only other contender being a nice ling caught by Jamie) was a 19lb 4oz cod caught by Ralph.

We arrived in Alderney at around 5pm. There were three other Weymouth Charter boats in the harbour along with one from Poole. Ryan, our skipper, heard back from them, none had done anywhere near as well as we had and this could have been due to Ryan hitting the better wrecks or it may have been due to our excellent fishing skills!!

We took the water taxi from the boat to shore and phoned for a taxi to take us to the B&B. I had stayed at Farm Court a few years ago so had an idea of what to expect and it proved to be very comfortable. Once settled in we all walked the short distance to the pub, Le Marais, where we enjoyed a very nice dinner and a couple of pints with Ryan before heading back for the night. After breakfast which was more than adequate it was back down to the harbour in the taxi which eventually arrived to pick us up.

We had planned to go Turbot fishing on day two but the other boats had tried this the day before without much success so decided to go back out on the wrecks. This turned out to be much the same as the previous day, mostly Pollock with a few cod. Ken got

Reports 2017

Meerkat - Alderney 20-22 June

Three days before this trip was due to go ahead the weather was not looking good at all and it appeared as if we would not be going but eventually the wind settled down and as it turned out we had three days of glorious sunshine and the sea was virtually flat calm.

Six club members (Peter, Ken, Derrick, Ralph, David Wall and myself) met at Meerkat on Tues morning and loaded our kit on board. As Peter could not make it to France last year and David was not a member then, it was great to see them on this trip. Scott, Derrick’s son was on the trip, having driven down from Edinburgh the day before. We were also joined by another angler called Jamie from Southampton who proved to be a very competent angler.

Those who had decided to then went over to The Sailors Return for a fried breakfast. Once the cars had been safely parked, we were off.

A couple of hours later we arrived at our first drift. A few Pollock came onboard with the odd cod making up the numbers. This is how the day continued, fishing three or four wrecks on the way over. Jamie seemed to be showing us the way with the number of fish he caught. Most of the fish caught were of a very decent size and

2017 Report 5b Club Events